Scooter Accident Attorneys
Serving Scooter Accident Victims in Palm Bay, Sebastian and Vero Beach
Let’s face it. Scooters and mopeds are becoming increasingly popular. They provide a cheap, budget-friendly solution to getting where you need to go. While scooters can be purchased for less than $1,000, unforeseen risks are involved. More than 90% of drivers are uninsured and the risk of being involved in a scooter accident is extremely high.
Causes of Scooter Accidents
- Left turn: accidents that occur when making a left turn are the most common types of motorcycle or scooter-related accidents. They constitute 42% of all accidents for scooter drivers. This happens when a vehicle turns left in front of a scooter, then collides, resulting in a scooter accident.
- Distracted drivers: are inevitable. With more than 1 billion vehicles in use in the world today, there are going to be drivers who are using their cell phones, reading, not paying attention, and even sleeping. A heightened attention while driving will increase your chances of avoiding an accident with a distracted driver.
- Reduced visibility: is common when rain, snow, or fog is present. For example, 17% of accidents occur when snow is present. This results in drivers having less visibility and increases the potential for an accident. If your visibility is extremely hindered, consider stopping until your visibility has increased. This could save your life.
- Faster stops: scooters are able to stop much faster than a regular vehicle. This does not give time for the driver behind the scooter to stop as fast as and results in a scooter accident.
- Drunk Under the Influence (DUI): occurs every day with more than 300,000 drivers under the influence on the road. This impairs your reaction speed, judgment, and highly alters your driving. Avoid driving dunk.
- Always wear a helmet while driving a scooter. The use of a helmet is mandatory. However, if you are above the age of 21, and carry proof of Personal Injury Protection, then you do not have to wear a helmet. A helmet can be as low as $35.
- Don’t speed: make sure you are using extra precaution while driving a scooter to avoid any accidents.
- Refrain from tailgating: it is best to be a defensive driver while riding your scooter. Many scooter accidents are the result of someone else. To avoid being involved in an accident, you should keep a distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Use reflective sticks on your scooter: so that drivers can easily spot you.
View more safety tips here.
Vero Beach and Sebastian Residents
Recently, the Centers for Diseases and Control completed an in-depth study of the Sebastian and Vero Beach Florida area. The study concluded that this area ranks one of the highest in the United States for driving under the influence. A study showed more than 20% of drivers consumed 5+ drinks before driving. Make sure you are extra cautious while driving in the Sebastian and Vero Beach area to avoid a scooter accident.
In the event that you are involved in scooter accident, you should seek medical treatment immediately. Call an experienced scooter accident lawyer immediately. Ensure that your scooter accident investigation has been thoroughly completed. Lulich Attorneys & Consultants have been helping accident victims for More than 30 years. Call our Sebastian Office (772) 589-5500 or Vero Beach Office (772) 774-7771. You can also fill out a Free Case Evaluation here.