Sebastian Car Accident Lawyers
Experienced Car crash attorneys fighting for drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bicycle riders
There’s no excuse for most Sebastian Car crashes. Drivers understand what’s negligent. It’s not complicated. They need to drive according to the Florida driver laws. Drivers should never drive while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs. If a driver is tired, he/she should get off the road. Drivers should eat, drink, and check their routes before they get into a car. Florida drivers should never text or talk (on a hand-held device) while driving. Any driver who causes injuries or death should pay for all the damages they cause.
View this link to check out the latest Sebastian car accidents and driving condition. For more information about Indian River County streets, interstates, and highways, you can view this site – – Indian River County – Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (flhsmv.gov)
At Lulich & Attorneys, our seasoned attorneys have been fighting for personal injury victims for 35 years. We investigate the cause of your accident by reviewing police reports and sending investigators out to examine the accident site, the damaged cars, and to speak with witnesses. When necessary, we work with traffic reconstruction professionals. We discuss your case with your employers to verify how much income you’ve lost due to the car accident. We review your case with your doctors to verify your injuries, the treatment you need, and your pain and suffering. In most Sebastian car accident cases, we negotiate a settlement with the insurance company for the driver. When justice demands, we’re ready to try your case before a jury.
Click here to view our Free Car Accident Guidebook.
How often do Florida car crashes result in death?
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), in 2019, there were 2,950 fatal crashes in Florida. These crashes caused nearly 3,200 deaths because several hundred cars had multiple passengers, pedestrians or bicycle riders died, or the occupants of more than one car died. Nearly 1,600 fatal Florida car crashes were single car accidents. Slightly more were multiple vehicle crashes.
What are the minimum insurance requirements in Sebastian?
Florida mandates the owners of cars have insurance in the following minimum amounts:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP). The minimum amount is $10,000. This type of insurance pays for the medical bills car accident victims have – independent of fault.
- Property Damage Liability (PDL). The minimum amount is $10,000. The insurance pays for any damage to your vehicle – including repair costs or replacement costs. Like PIP insurance, fault is not an issue.
Owners of cars in Sebastian car owners should also buy the following types of insurance in the maximum amounts of coverage the owner can afford:
- Bodily insurance (BI). This insurance pays the victim’s medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. The insurance is normally based on a per person and per accident basis.
- Uninsured/Underinsured (UM/UIM) insurance. Sometimes, the person responsible for the accident doesn’t have insurance or has the bare minimum. UM/UIM insurance pays for your medical bills, lost, income, and pain and suffering – in amount over and above what the other available BI insurance pays.
- Comprehensive damage. This insurance covers any damage to your car due to non-car-accident causes such as vandalism, theft, and fire.
Who is covered by the various types of insurance?
Generally PIP insurance covers:
- The owner of the car
- Anyone who is injured while in the car – if they are a passenger or a relative who lives in the household of the car owner
- A bicycle rider or pedestrian who suffers injuries due an accident caused by the car covered by the PIP policy
Bodily insurance coverage applies if the owner of the car causes an accident or if the driver had permission to use the car. Some exceptions may apply.
When should you call a Sebastian car accident attorney?
Victims of any type of car accident should contact a respected Sebastian car accident lawyer as soon they can – after the car crash. An experienced car accident lawyer will:
- Arrange for investigators to go to the accident site. Investigators need to examine the accident as soon as possible so they can determine how the accident occurred. Investigators will normally take photos and videos of the accident site. The investigators will look to see how many lanes there are, whether there was a stop sign or traffic signal, what the speed limit was, whether there were any items such as trees that could obstruct anyone’s vision, and other factors. The investigators will also examine the damage to the vehicles. They may try to take statements from any of the witnesses – while the car accident is fresh in their memory.
- Examine your injuries. Our Sebastian car accident attorneys review the records of hospitals you visit, like the Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital. We’ll obtain billing records and medical reports from your treating doctors. We’ll also obtain billing records from other health providers you see. Our lawyers review what injuries you have, why you need treatment, and the types of treatment you need. We also review the limitations and pain and suffering you have due to your injuries – and whether you are likely to have any permanent injuries. We may negotiate a letter of protection – an agreement by the doctor to postpone any requests for medical bills (not paid by your own health insurance) until your car accident case is resolved.
- Explain the requirement that you let your lawyer be your mouthpiece. It’s critical that you avoid discussing your case, or settling your case, with the insurance companies for the defendants. The liability insurance carriers are not your friends. They’re working to defeat your claim or pay as little as possible. Your lawyer will let the insurance companies know he is representing you and that all discussions about your car accident case must go through him.
- Conduct discovery. Discovery is the question and answer part of your case. Our Sebastian car accident lawyers regularly send written questions that the defendants must answer. We regularly question the defendants – in person – before a court stenographer. We want to get the defendant’s version of the accident on record so we can anticipate their defenses.
We may also request that that defendants produce certain documents such as copies of their insurance policies Your lawyer will research the legal issues, negotiate any settlements, and prepare your case for trial.
What steps should you take after a car accident in Sebastian?
There are many different steps to take after a car accident. We understand how scary and worrisome a car accident is. The main steps you need to take are the following:
- Focus on your health. If you are reasonably healthy you should stay at the accident site until the police arrive to review everything. If necessary, arrangements should be made, normally by the police, for emergency medical personnel to come to the accident site. After the police discharge you, you should go to an emergency room no matter how serious your condition is. You need to seek immediate help so the doctors can diagnose your condition and begin any emergency treatment. If you delay seeing your doctor, the insurance company for the driver may argue you weren’t seriously injured.
- Exchange information. Drivers are generally required to exchange information with the other drivers. The information includes your name, address phone number, and your insurance carrier. The Sebastian police department will normally ask for your driver’s license, car registration, and your insurance car. The police will question you about the accident. Don’t be a hero. If you’re in pain, say so. Try to stick to the facts without admitting fault. Be sure to keep the information from the other drivers in a safe place. Try to get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Take pictures. If you have your smartphone, take pictures of the damage to the car and the accident site. If you’re hurt, and you can, take pictures of how awful you look.
- Call your insurance company. Your own insurance company needs to know the accident occurred. They have the right to conduct their own investigation.
Be sure to call your Sebastian attorney as soon as possible.
What does a Sebastian car accident lawyer do?
Seasoned Sebastian car accident lawyers fight for injured victims, and the families of deceased victims, in many ways. Our lawyers:
- Explain your initial duties.
- First, you must focus on your health. We’ll review with doctors you’re seeing. If we think it advisable, we may direct you to different physicians. We’ll review your full treatment plan.
- Second, if you haven’t notified your insurance company about the accident, we’ll call them for you.
- Explain how the car accident claim process works. We’ll explain the various stages of your case. Generally, we work to determine who was at fault and to have a diagnosis of your injuries before we make a settlement demand. We’ll negotiate your claim, often after the discovery process is complete and you have a good idea where your medical situation stands. If your case can’t be settled, we’ll file a legal complaint. If your case can’t be settled, we’ll prepare your case for arbitration or trial.
- Determine who’s responsible for the accident. In addition to the driver, the owners of the car (if not the same as the driver) are usually liable. Other defendants may also be responsible for your injuries.
- Review your medical case. We’ll obtain all your medical bills. We’ll obtain medical reports from your primary care doctors and from any specialists who are treating you. Our lawyers review the medical reports to ensure they explain how the accident caused your injuries, what your injuries are, what medical care you need, and the injuries are affecting every aspect of your life. We also review your need for medications and medical devices.
- Conduct discovery. As mentioned, we submit written questions to the defendants, oral questions to all witnesses and request for documents. We help you prepare for the questions the defendants will ask you.
- Work with you and your witnesses. We speak with anyone who has information about the accident and about your pain and suffering.
- Work to negotiate a settlement. We understand when to start the negotiation process, what arguments to make, and what arguments the insurance company is likely to make. We settle many cases – with the consent of our clients.
- Prepare your case for trial. If the case doesn’t settle, we do a dry run with you of the questions you’re likely to be asked. We coordinate all the witness and evidence that needs to be presented to the jury. We select the jury with you and argue your case in court.
Why do Sebastian motor vehicle accidents happen?
Car accidents usually happen for one of the following reasons:
- Driving while intoxicated. Drivers who drink normally can’t anticipate traffic emergencies and can’t respond to them. Drunk drivers often speed, weave in and out of lanes, and run through traffic signals.
- Driver distractions. Drivers should have their eyes on the road, their mind on traffic, and their hands on the steering wheel. Common causes of driver distraction include eating or drinking while driving, using a cellphone (texting or talking), playing with the entertainment system, and looking at a GPS system
- Driver fatigue. Many Sebastian car accidents happen because drivers get into a car when they’re tired or fail to get off the road when they’re tired.
- Not obeying Florida traffic laws. Drivers who speed are a danger to everyone.
- Driving too fast for conditions. When the roads are wet, it’s snowing, it’s running, or the sun is bright, drivers need to slow down.
Manufacturers of car parts that are defective such as faulty airbags or tires should be held liable for the car accidents the defective parts cause. Sellers of alcohol to someone who is visibly drunk should also be held liable for a Sebastian car accident.
What are the various kinds of Sebastian car crashes?
Often, the way a car accident happens indicates who is responsible for the car accidents. Some crashes are more deadly than others. Common types of car accidents include:
- Head-on crashes. In this type of crash, the fronts of both cars collide. Someone often dies. Drunk driving is often a cause.
- Rear-end collisions. These accidents happen because the driver in the rear was speeding or was distracted. Whiplash and soft-tissue injuries are quite common.
- Sideswipes. These crashes occur when the sides of two cars collide – for example, if one car tries to pass another car and gets too close.
- Broadside-collisions. These crashes, also called T-Bone crashes, involve the front of one car striking the side of another car. These crashes can cause death or serious injuries. They often happen at intersections.
- Single-car crashes. Passengers have the right to sue the drivers when a single car accident happens.
- Multi-car accidents. These accidents usually involve chain reactions. Our experienced Sebastian lawyers understand how to handle these complex cases.
Should I get a lawyer when the car accident wasn’t my fault?
Yes. You have the right to hold all the people and businesses that caused your injuries or the death of a loved one. Possible defendants in Sebastian car accident cases include:
- The driver
- The vehicle owners
- The manufacturers of defective auto parts
- A business that sells alcohol to someone who then causes a crash due to their inebriation
- State agencies such as the Florida Department of Transportation
What types of accidents do Sebastian car accident victims usually suffer?
In the most tragic cases, a beloved family member dies. We file wrongful death claims on behalf of the survivors.
In personal injury cases, the car accident victims usually begin their medical care with emergency room care. Many victims treat with their family doctors, specialists, and therapists.
Common Sebastian car accident injuries include:
- Spinal cord damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Burn injuries
- Damage to joints, ligaments, muscles, nerves, and tissue
- Shoulder, back, and neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Bruises and cuts
Victims of physical injuries also have the right to treatment for their emotional injuries.
What compensation are Sebastian car accident victims entitled to?
If you’re injured in a car crash, you can claim damages for all of the following, depending on your case:
- Payment of all your medical bills
- Your lost income to date and your likely future loss of income
- Your physical pain
- Your emotional suffering
- Any scarring or disfigurement
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium damages
In cases of severe wrong, you can claim punitive damages.
Talk with an experienced Sebastian accident lawyer today
At Lulich & Attorneys, we have a strong track record of success negotiating strong settlements and court verdicts. We work aggressively to achieve justice for all our clients. Our lawyers are skilled at anticipating the arguments insurance carriers and defense lawyers make.
We represent all Sebastian residents and anyone injured on any Sebastian road regardless of where they live.
Our Car Accident Attorneys serve Sebastian, Sebastian, and all Sebastian communities. The law offices of Lulich & Attorneys want you to be informed and protected! Call for your Free Consultation today! We handle all car accident cases on a contingency fee basis. You can reach us in Sebastian at (772) 589-5500 or use our contact form to schedule an appointment.
Lulich & Attorneys Sebastian Office
- Phone: 772-492-4611
- Fax: 772-589-8800
- Address: 1069 Main Street, Sebastian, FL 32958
- Hours: M-F 8:30PM – 5:00PM
There are two key parts to every car accident case. The first part is proving that someone caused the car crash and …
Once you are able to show that a driver is liable for the accident that caused your injuries or the death of …
Most people who have a car accident in Sebastian, Vero Beach, or anywhere in Florida are in shock. Victims have a million …
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 10,000 people who died in 2016, died due to an alcohol-impaired …
There are several key parts of any car accident claim. The victim or the victim’s family must show that the driver was …
Car accidents can cause many different types of injuries depending on the severity of the crash and the way the accident happens. …
Many auto accident cases are straight forward. The person who is held accountable is the driver of the vehicle that hit you. …
There are many different ways a skilled Florida car accident lawyer works to help prove another driver was the cause of your …
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety – Highway Loss Data Institute – there were 5,172 motorcycle fatalities nationwide in 2017. …
Florida Vehicle Accident Statistics According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were more than 400,000 vehicle crashes …
Distracted driving is a leading cause of death in America. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, 3,450 people died in …
There are many different types of trucks – tankers, 18-wheelers, box trucks, pickup trucks, and others. What trucks have in common is …