Unlike most states, Florida does not require that car owners carry minimum liability insurance. Many states have laws that drivers should have at least $25,000 for one person's injury or death and $50,000 for multiple injuries or deaths.
All car owners should have liability insurance – even if Florida law doesn’t require it. Just one night in a hospital can cost more than $50,000. Since everyone runs the risk of causing an accident, insurance is a must. Just one second of distraction can cause a driver to lose control of his/her vehicle. Also, a sudden storm can make roads slippery. Many drivers get tired and lose focus.
Liability insurance means that if you injure or kill someone else, your insurance company will pay that person’s damages. Damages typically include the victims:
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Unpaid medical bills
- Wage loss that isn’t covered
- Property damage
- A spouse’s loss of consortium
- Compensation for any scarring and disfigurement
The main types of Florida vehicle liability insurance
These are the main types of Florida car accident liability insurance:
- BIL (Bodily Injury Liability) Insurance. Florida, unlike most states, does not require that car owners have bodily injury insurance. Car owners should buy as much BIL insurance as they can afford. Likewise, if you cause an accident, the damages can be tens or hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
- UM/UIM insurance. Many drivers and car owners don’t have BIL insurance. Many don’t even have the $10,000 PDL minimum. Often, if there is insurance, it isn’t enough to pay for your damages. UM/UIM insurance protects you if the responsible parties can’t pay your claim. UM/UIM pays if:
- Someone else caused the accident
- They don’t have any coverage or don’t have enough coverage
You can only get up to the policy limits. There are deductions for other payments.
- PDL (Property Damage Liability). All drivers must carry a minimum of $10,000 to pay for any car or property damage they cause.
Car owners should purchase as much Florida vehicle liability insurance, of all types, as they can afford.